Sunday 24 March 2013

A Tale of Two Feasts - Hawksmoor Air Street and Mildreds

Last week was a very naughty food-wise. I reached the pinnacle on Wednesday with a double feast, Hawksmoor for lunch and Mildreds for dinner. Now, strictly speaking it isn't really my fault. The Hawksmoor lunch was work related (lucky me - if only every week was such a treat) and dinner was for my best friend's birthday. When she first suggested Mildreds, a vegetarian restaurant in Soho, the carnivore in me immediately though, well it should be ok, I am having steak for lunch after all. However, a quick glance at the menu and after trying it I think I definitely will be dining at Mildreds more often, despite the lack of meat on the menu. The food was fresh, tasty and dessert was TO-DIE-FOR. You must try the salted hazelnut caramel cheesecake. I think that was the best thing I ate all day (hmm maybe a toss up with the scallops and ribs), then again I do have a sweet tooth.

Going back to Hawksmoor, I had wanted to try it for a long time and although the sides, and starters were amazing (the ribs and scallops are a must!) I found my sirloin a tad on the dry side despite it being medium. It was huge though and I'm sure it would have satisfied most carnivores but I only ate half, choosing to devour my triple cook chips instead. My favourite steak place in UK is still Mirage in Newbury Park. It's bit of a trek so I haven't been in a long while but in my eyes it beats all the Gauchos, Maze, Hawksmoor etc put together. Do try if you're in the area.

Feast your eyes...

Hawksmoor:
Clockwise from top left: Scallops, Onion Roasted Bone Marrow, Scallop close up and ribs.

Clockwise from top left: Sirloin steak, mushrooms, Chateaubriand, Macaroni cheese. We also had spinach, triple cooked chips and beef dripping fries but I was too busy eating to take a picture!



Sweet Potato
Mildreds:
Specials of the day
Small and very packed but worth the wait, even if they don't even serve fish.

Top: Asparagus and Pea Fritter with blue cheese sauce. Bottom: Pumpkin and Ricotta Ravioli with chesnut mushroom, cream and white wine sauce.
Clockwise from top left: Burger of the Day with the best chips ever and basil infused mayo, Risotto cake with beans and grape mustard.
Top: Peanut butter brownie and ice cream, bottom: salted hazelnut and caramel cheesecake.






No comments:

Post a Comment